In addition to publishing your site to tell.ie/yourusername you can also publish your site to any custom domain you own (yourdomain.com) once you've unlocked a Tellie Pro plan.
Steps Covered in this Article:
- Adding a custom domain
- Updating your domain's DNS settings
- Verify your domain is pointing to Tellie
🚨 Before you get started with this tutorial, make sure you:
- Unlock Tellie Pro by subscribing to a Plan ✨
- Own the domain name you want to connect to your site or buy a domain from a provider of your choice
- Can update your DNS records at your domain provider
- Reset your DNS settings if you've previously hosted your domain elsewhere. This helps minimize and even eliminate issues or conflicts that might require troubleshooting DNS settings later
Add a custom domain
To add your custom domain to Tellie, open to your Account settings and click to the 🚀 Custom Domain option.
In the Custom Domain section, click the Add Domain button. In the modal, add your root domain (yourdomain.com) and click Done.
By default, your visitors will be redirected to your root domain (yourdomain.com)
Update the DNS Settings
Every DNS host has their own way of updating DNS settings. We recommend that you read the help documentation of your DNS host, also do not hesitate to contact their support for help with their interface and settings.
⚠️ Tellie is unable to field support tickets regarding DNS setup at this time. See this article for a list of domain registrars with links to their DNS setting documentation.
Access your domain's DNS settings in your domain registrar's or DNS host's dashboard.
Before proceeding, remove any existing A records for
The image here is shown as an example.
Add 2 A records for @ (root domain)
- Add an A record
- Set the host to @
- Copy and paste the first value shown in the Custom Domains settings on Tellie
- Repeat steps 1-3 for the second value
Add 2 A records for www (full domain)
- Add an A record
- Set the host to www
- Copy and paste the third value shown in the Custom Domains settings on Tellie
- Repeat steps 1-3 for the fourth value
Verify the domain is pointing to Tellie
To verify that your DNS settings are correct, and that your domain is correctly pointing to Tellie, click the Test Connection button.
DNS changes can take from a few minutes, to upwards of 24-48 hours to propagate. If your site verification doesn’t work right away, you can come back later to check the status again. If you still run into any issues with your domain verification, reach out to your DNS provider to make sure the records are set correctly.
When a domain is successfully connected, you'll see a ✅ Connected status message.
Note: Even though your domain is connected, it can still take up to 24 hours for traffic to stabilize. Consider waiting 24 hours before sharing your URL.
If your domain is not working correctly after 48 hours, reverify that you've set the correct values on your domain provider or contact your domain provider’s help desk.
Can I connect more than one domain to my project?
Can I publish different pages to different subdomains?
It's not possible to publish specific pages to specific domains or subdomains. If you need to publish different pages to different subdomains, you'll need to set up separate accounts for each domain.
Is SSL enabled for my site?
SSL is enabled by default and cannot be turned off.